Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Boston College, TE Lars Anderson Exclusive

With the annual Jay McGillis Memorial Spring Game this Saturday, Boston College redshirt-junior tight end Lars Anderson is prepared to contribute in whatever way possible. “I take a lot of pride in being able to do many different roles in the offense, I’ve played tight end, fullback, H-back, and split out sometimes,” said Anderson.


Last season, Anderson started 10 games at fullback and appeared in all 13 games for the Eagles. He finished fifth on the team with eight receptions for 102 yards and a touchdown. Anderson believes that his role on the Eagles offensive will develop into more opportunities for him to make big-time plays. “I had a lot of up's and down's last year,” he said. “I played more of a fullback role which I didn't mind, but so far this spring I think I’m proving myself as more of a receiver.”

As Boston College look to build off last seasons 8-4 record highlighted by an appearance at the Emerald Bowl against Southern Cal, Eagles fans have reason be excited about this coming season. “The offense as a whole has a lot of experience coming back including our quarterback Dave Shinskie” Anderson said. “We are off to a good start but there is a lot of work to be done.”

Shinskie 26, set freshman passing records with 2,049 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. Anderson has nothing but positive things to say about the quarterback, “I believe {Shinskie} has improved tremendously since the bowl game in December. He is getting better everyday and I believe it is his job to lose thus far.”

With expectations always high at Boston College, Anderson looks to the NFL for inspiration on improving his game. “I like to watch all of the players that have the same H-back body-type as me, He said in a phone interview. “I think the role of the H-back in the NFL is just starting to come around now and tight end's are becoming very valuable as well.”


Having alumni like Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan and Green Bay Packers DT B.J. Raji offer advice to their former teammates helps tremendously. “Basically, these guys tell us to stay focused and motivated, Anderson said of his former teammates. “You have to do all the small things from watching film after practice to staying extra in the weight room if you want to make that jump {to the NFL}.”

The Eagles welcome back defensive captain and 2008 ACC Player of the Year Mark Herzlich. He missed all of last year after battled back from Ewing's sarcoma cancer. “{Herzlich’s} story just represents everything you want to use in any life obstacles.” He added, “Anytime I don't feel like practicing or lifting, I can just think of what he would give to be back out there with us.”

Finally when asked about his goals for this season Anderson quickly murmured, “Just like every year our goal is to win the ACC championship.” He continued by saying “Before last year, one of the commentators predicted us to go 2-10, sometimes you can't help but laugh at some of the things people say.”

Special thanks to my former high-school football teammate Lars Anderson for the interview

No comments:

Post a Comment